About Me

My photo
Robin Parry is the husband of but one wife (Carol) and the father of the two most beautiful girls in the universe (Hannah and Jessica). He also has a lovely cat called Monty (who has only three legs). Living in the city of Worcester, UK, he works as an Editor for Wipf and Stock — a US-based theological publisher. Robin was a Sixth Form College teacher for 11 years and has worked in publishing since 2001 (2001–2010 for Paternoster and 2010– for W&S).

Thursday, 19 March 2009

I am John Wesley

I have just taken a quiz on facebook which is said to be scarily accurate. It asks you lots of questions and then tells you which famous theologian you are.

I am John Wesley

I do love John Wesley but I think it is a big stretch to suggest that my theology is a lot like his. After all, I am not an Arminian and that was kind of important to old Johnny W. I believe, unlike Wesley, in things like unconditional election and irresistable grace. I always imagined that I was a bit more like Calvin (although not that much like him either).

Oh well - Wesley it is.

That said, I am flattered to be compared to a Christian theologian that fabulous. It is he who is diminished by association with me, not vice versa.

3 comments:

John Ottens said...

Yes, I took the same quiz yesterday and found out that I am Thomas Aquinas. Turns out that the quiz has a pretty limited pool of theologians from which to draw, and if one thinks that 'works' are involved in salvation and that tradition is important in the life of the church . . . then surely that means that you are the one Catholic theologian on the (sorely lacking) list!

I suppose it's too much to ask that N. T. Wright be included in the list of options . . .

pchurcher87 said...

Thats funny. I took it yesterday too and came out as Karl Barth. Flattering as that is the Universalism worries me, lol. Plus I'm an Arminian and would have thought that I was a perfect candidate for Wesley. My open Thiest friend came out as Calvin. Go figure.

Robin Parry said...

pchurcher87

Barth firmly denied that he was a universalist so perhaps you are OK. Still - Barth was not very Arminian. Perhaps you and I can swap. I'll be Barth and you be Wesley.

That said - I saw all the 'Barth' options along the way and avoided them because the result would have been too obvious. I wanted a surprise. I got one.